Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

Taste of Taiwan

Quincy has some Taiwanese flavor now. This little food court stand in the heart of Quincy Center pretty much holds up the otherwise empty food court. There's a Japanese fast food joint and a Thai place to be opened soon, accompanied by the Little Q hot pot restaurant next door (more on that later).

I actually met someone who is friends with the owner of Taste of Taiwan, which just shows you how small this little town is. But on to the food. I think I've probably tried 7 dishes in one sitting (I was THAT excited). I would say that the best thing they have there is the Dan Bing - a thinly veiled egg covered scallion pancake which I have only had the pleasure of tasting when I was actually in Taiwan. Hard to find, that dish. Paired with their yummy cold soy milk, it's a fitting breakfast.

Second best would be the Beef Bao Bing, which is a Chinese roast beef wrapped in pancake with hoisin sauce. Not as good as others I've had, but not bad either. What was most disappointing was the Stewed Mince Meat rice bowl. That side dish, when made well is delectably fattening and satiating. This was a very poor imitation. I was reminded of minced spam. On the other hand, I've yet to try their Peking Noodles or Beef Noodle Soups which will be big indicators for me. But I can't imagine it's comparable to King Five Noodles. I'll keep an open mind as they work out the kinks. They did give me a free herbal tea on the house when I was eyeing it...so at least it's run by a nice family. I do hope this little place succeeds though. Honestly, I don't think non-Taiwanese patrons would really know the difference.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?